TSS (Top-Secret) and REXX (recreate userids)

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

TSS (Top-Secret) and REXX (recreate userids)

Postby spiritintl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:51 pm

I have developped a few REXX utilities for TSS (TOP-SECRET) and one of the most used is the ability to RECOVER
USERID's competely from TSSCFILE backups....... I was tired of recreating userid's from scratch everytime someone
deleted a user by error and/or came back to work for the company so I started the task of creating a REXX tool that
would read the TSSCFILE backup and REBUILD access for a given USERID based on the codes 0001-9999 stored in columns
5 of the actual backup dataset. Each code equates to a given access in TSS and an ISPF MACRO was built to document all
given CODES that we use to convert these into valid TSS create commands and the result was amazing.
Myclone ==> recreates users from current TSS database
Newclone ==> recreates users from last TSS database backup and by changing the input dataset can recover userid's from LAST WEEK, LAST MONTH or LAST YEAR.
Used everyday..... an awesome tool.
spiritintl

Re: TSS (Top-Secret) and REXX (recreate userids)

Postby prino » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:49 pm

And what is the question?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby steve-myers » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 pm

A potentially useful tool for CA-Top Secret admins. Why not contribute it to CBT? I never encountered this problem as a TSS DCA (and a TSS admin for a "mini" system), though I'm sure other TSS admins have encountered this problem. Something of this nature is important in TSS (compared to RACF) as all resources are tied to a user in TSS. TSS has no "groups" as they are known in RACF.

A "mini" system in the nomenclature used at the time was an MVS system run for test purposes in a z/VM environment.

A Top Secret DCA is a limited admin that has authority for users and resources in a "department" as defined within Top Secret. My biggest problem as a DCA was handling resources outside of my "department," and handling resources that moved to "my" "department." Top Secret "departments" had little correspondence to "departments" as known within the political structure.

Prino - the TS is simply announcing something he did that he thinks is cool. I've been known to do that from time to time.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby spiritintl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Thx
spiritintl

Return to CLIST & REXX