Can I run a ".qmc" macro in my Rexx program?

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Re: Can I run a ".qmc" macro in my Rexx program?

Postby Pedro » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:52 am

I had to translate Cristian's post: while I speak some Spanish, English is my first language.

===
I explain a little my idea:

I will have a Rexx that will collect some data (name, surname, age...) and with these data I need to go to some CICS transaction panels to process them (create users in some environments and other types of operations). Normally I had a member in a form type bibliography, which I filled in by hand and then launched the aforementioned Macro of ".qmc" format. I use them a lot, although I don't know if you can do that by launching them from a Rexx. The macros I am referring to are the ones that you can record from the Quick3270 toolbar with the typical "red circle" symbol, which you can then launch with the typical "arrow" similar to the "play" button on a cassette.

The simple way would be to go directly to the database and modify it (which I suppose is what the transaction does) but I don't know how to do all that part, I don't even know how to locate the database and so on...

I have also seen that macros can be made in members within Z but it is nothing like the language that I find in the macros that I currently make (the .qmc, which are saved on windows) that when opened are script type, example:

HostSettleTime = 3000 ; milliseconds
SendKeys "<Enter>"
Result = WaitForAttrib(13, 69, &H08, &H3C, 3, 3000)
Result = WaitForCursor(13, 70)
Result = WaitForKbdUnlock()

I don't know if I have explained everything well... don't hesitate to ask me if I can give you more information or if you need more data, and thank you very much for having answered me.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:59 am

The macros I am referring to are the ones that you can record from the Quick3270 toolbar

It seems like you want to execute something that you did manually in the 3270 emulator. If you can explain that manual action, maybe we can suggest a way to that in rexx.

====

I had some success executing Windows stuff by launching it from a rexx program, using interfaces for the ISPF Workstation Agent. But the Windows stuff has to have a command interface.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:09 am

macros can be made in members within Z but it is nothing like the language

The term 'macro' is a general term. There is not a universal macro language. Each environment may have its own unique macro language.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby sergeyken » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:25 am

Trying to explain it in hand-waving terms.

We can associate a 3270 Emulator running under Windows as something similar to a smart touch-screen TV installed in the middle of our “smart house”.

If so, we can control - by touching the screen (or by other tools of the smart house) - what and how to be displayed on the TV screen. But there is no chance that any producer from television studio to control any device at our smart house.

In short terms: this is a “one-way control communication”
Javas and Pythons come and go, but JCL and SORT stay forever.
sergeyken

Postby Robledo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:got curious and googled
the most reasonable/credible result I got is
https://www.file-extensions.org/qmc-file-extension
so looks like the topic has nothing to do with mainframes

Oh :cry: I'll have to learn how to do macros inside mainframe.. :lol:
Robledo

Postby Robledo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:46 pm

Pedro wrote:
macros can be made in members within Z but it is nothing like the language

The term 'macro' is a general term. There is not a universal macro language. Each environment may have its own unique macro language.

Thank you Pedro, I must look for a system that allows me to make macros within the mainframe, different from Rexx hehe :D
Robledo

Postby Pedro » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:22 am

I must look for a system that allows me to make macros within the mainframe, different from Rexx

I think rexx is the preferred method for this, though I think you need to know these:
The simple way would be to go directly to the database and modify it (which I suppose is what the transaction does) but I don't know how to do all that part, I don't even know how to locate the database and so on...

I do not know CICS... but maybe start here: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/cics-ts/6.1 ... ion-server
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:39 am

unfortunately even after 16 posts the TS still has not been able to explain his problem
topic locked
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Previous

Return to CLIST & REXX