REXX server/Java client

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Re: REXX server/Java client

Postby moral » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:
Why are you so nervous? I tries learn something, that's all.

I am not nervous, why should I be anyway... ?
I just wanted to make You aware that what You are doing is illegal!
and Your organization might be incur in troubles , nothing more nothing less
upo to using it' s licensing rights for unlawful use of licensed IBM products

Hercules was on my private PC, I did not know, that I violated a license. From now I use "Big Iron" only in work.
I thank for making me aware.
moral

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:45 pm

PEBKAC error. I took your REXX, put it on my mainframe, executed BPXBATCH against it, and got the expected output in stdout.

Side note: by telling the world you are using an unlicensed z/OS machine, you are opening yourself up to IBM coming to your organization, as the presumptive source of your z/OS, and applying the contractual penalties for license violation -- which, depending upon your site, could range from substantial financial penalties up to and including removal of your site's ability to use z/OS at all. This is NOT a good way to impress your boss or any other managers in your organization.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby moral » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Robert Sample wrote:PEBKAC error. I took your REXX, put it on my mainframe, executed BPXBATCH against it, and got the expected output in stdout.

Side note: by telling the world you are using an unlicensed z/OS machine, you are opening yourself up to IBM coming to your organization, as the presumptive source of your z/OS, and applying the contractual penalties for license violation -- which, depending upon your site, could range from substantial financial penalties up to and including removal of your site's ability to use z/OS at all. This is NOT a good way to impress your boss or any other managers in your organization.

Really of it I didn't know. I already removed Hercules from the disk.
moral

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:49 am

Hello,

Using Hercules is ok/legal. Your organization might not approve it for use in company machines but there would be no problem using it on your own pc.

z/OS is another issue. Unless you buy a license for z/OS it is not legel to use it. There is a free/legal copy of an older MVS release that is far from current but has enough features for someone wantng to "have a mainframe" in their pc.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Monitor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Comment on Hercules and z/OS.
I dont think IBM ever will stop a private person from trying to learn z/OS, using a copy of their ADCD z/OS package run on the Hercules Emulator.
z/OS is solely a platform for enterprizes and will never be targeted to home and private use. Achieving z/OS knowledge using your laptop at home will only be beneficial to IBM and IBMs customers.
Today IBM exposes z/OS services through different "sandbox" solutions on the Internet, for testing an training and also have free training materials on the Internet for anyone to use.
The ADCD package for z/OS is a way of exposing their software, and I will not be surprised if we will see an low-cost or free ADCD-package for "Home and Students" in the near future.
Monitor

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:27 pm

for the full story about licensed programs issues You should join and lurk the hercules-advocacy forum on Yahoo

all the attempts to get a <hobbyst> license for zOS and friends have been curtly dismissed by IBM,
so it is not important what we would like but rather what IBM wants .

I dont think IBM ever will stop a private person from trying to learn z/OS, using a copy of their ADCD z/OS package run on the Hercules Emulator.

strange enough the ADCD, now zPDT seems to have more explicit contractual terms for the allowed platforms.

IBM might not be able to stop private people from using licensed products ( on any real /emulated hardware )
but it might be certainly able to do lots of damage to each one of the hercules developers ,
at least to those whose name is in the copyright section of the hercules sources ( and mine is in some of them :geek: )

the issue is even more murky about IP ( intellectual property ) violations
according to some school of thinking even writing <software> which reproduces the functionalities described in the POP
might constitute an IP violation

this is the reason of my getting pissed when I see people telling about using licensed products on unendorsed platform

might sound hypocritical, but for my own protection ( what I do not know will not bite my ass )
You got it, You use it, just shut up about it, if You have problems live with them ;)
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:37 pm

( what I do not know will not bite my ass )

hit enter too quickly...

what IBM does not know will not bite my ass ;)
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Previous

Return to CLIST & REXX