How to access a VSAM?

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Re: How to access a VSAM?

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:48 am

Hello,

And why industries are still measuring MIPS to save money instead of considering MSU?
I know of no industries that try to measure mips to save money (or for any other reason). As has been repeated, mips are not measured. If some industries think they are measuring mips, they are mistaken or are just too lazy (or too ignorant) to use correct terminology.

Can you please suggest me that which factors I should consider while coding to reduce the use of MSU.
Probably not. . . One does not "write code" to "reduce cpu costs". One writes code to provide a business requirement. Currently, many new people are not shown proper techniques and their managers appear to have no clue about proper development methods. There is more and more use of what are considered unacceptable practices in well-run organizations.

To improve the performance of some program or application, one needs to identify what needs to be improved. Merely believing too much cpu is used is no basis for tuning. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Jikesh Patel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks Dick,

That would be really gr8 if you tell me what are the unacceptable practices like use of class = M in test jcl, much use of Intertest for debugging code etc....
Jikesh Patel

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:55 am

Hello,

What you ask is completely site-specific. Your organization (or the organization that owns the data center) most likely has entire manuals of standards regarding what must be done or what may not be done. For example, CLASS=M has meant at least 20 different things on various systems i have supported.

The best (and only) source of the info you want is your standards, management, and co-workers.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Jikesh Patel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks dick,

First of all HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! :D

There are some manuals which are prepared by experience. I will look into those but I wanted to understand the mainframe system in depth and my work profile cannot help me in doing so.

Anyways thanks for all your kind help. :)
Jikesh Patel

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 am

You're welcome and Happy New Year to you as well :)

There are some manuals which are prepared by experience.
I do not understand this.

To learn the mainframe generically, you might look at some of the IBM Manuals. Things like JCL and programming Language References. For your system specifics, you would look at the local standards.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Jikesh Patel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 am

Hello,

I meant organisation has prepared some notes based on observations of consuming MIPS. But it must be organisation specific so these observations may not be applicable for other organisations thats what I understood.
Jikesh Patel

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 pm

:loop
read what Robert has said long back.
if
you understood this:
Jikesh Patel wrote:I meant organisation has prepared some notes based on observations of consuming MIPS. But it must be organisation specific so these observations may not be applicable for other organisations thats what I understood.

GO TO loop
end if
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Previous

Return to CLIST & REXX