Can we sort particular column ??

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

Can we sort particular column ??

Postby gauthamnagpur18 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi ,

I have one COBOL output in which two headers and multiple records are there . Now whenever i use DFsort in jcl, then whole records and header gets sorted .
Another problem is whenever i use DFSort , all columns get sorted .can we sort particular column, i mean sorting only 4 columns out of 5 columns .

Pls help me asap.

Thanks & Regards
Gautham Raj
gauthamnagpur18

Re: Can we sort particular column ??

Postby NicC » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:01 pm

We will get around to it as and when we want - not asap

I presume you are wanting help with DFSORT and not JCL so this should have been posted in the DFSORT section - it is what it is there for.
Also it is not clear what you are wanting. Show some sample input and the desired output. Use the code tags to make your data line up properly.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:27 pm

look at dfsort smart tricks on how to sort detail records leaving headers and trailers alone

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss? ... g3T7000094
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby gauthamnagpur18 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Thank you enrico-sorichetti...
gauthamnagpur18

Postby Frank Yaeger » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 am

I have one COBOL output in which two headers and multiple records are there . Now whenever i use DFsort in jcl, then whole records and header gets sorted.

You can use the DATASORT operator of DFSORT's ICETOOL to sort the detail records while keeping the header and trailer record in place.

Another problem is whenever i use DFSort , all columns get sorted .can we sort particular column, i mean sorting only 4 columns out of 5 columns.

DFSORT sorts whatever YOU tell it to on the SORT statement YOU supply. If you want it to sort on specific columns, just specify those columns in the SORT statement.

If you're not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd suggest reading through "z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started". It's an excellent tutorial, with lots of examples, that will show you how to use DFSORT, DFSORT's ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols. You can access it online, along with all of the other DFSORT books, from:

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss? ... g3T7000080
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER