Newbie to Easytrieve

Unicenter CA-Easytrieve Plus Report Generator: CA's information retrieval and data management tool

Newbie to Easytrieve

Postby Anthony Ona » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:15 am

I am trying to create a program that would search a file on the mainframe and print & save certain information to another file.Once the new file has been created, I will need to export the file to an excel spreadsheet. I need help on Where to begin.
The file I'm reading in, consist of JCL Code / Syntax. I just need the DFHRPL CONCATENATION portion of the file. I think I could use an Easytrieve Program to accomplish the task, I'm just new to Easytrieve, Im trying to learn and do at the same time.
Could some please, help me get started in the right direction.

Thanks....
Anthony Ona

Re: Newbie to Easytrieve

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I just need the DFHRPL CONCATENATION portion of the file.
I do not understand this :?

What type of data file has a DFHRPL CONCATENATION within it?

What you want to do is read whatever input, select the needed output and write delimited records in the output file (i typically use the tab character (x'05') as a delimiter). Once the file is created, it can be e-mailed or ftp'ed to a remote where it can be input to Excel.

Suggest you visit support.ca.com and download the documentation for Easytrieve (you have to register if you have not already done so). If your organization is licensed to use the product, all of the material may be downloaded free.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Anthony Ona » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks..
Anthony Ona

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 am

You're welcome - have you been able to download the material?

Have others in your organization written Easytrieve that processes JCL as input? If yes, suggest you clone one of those processes to meet your need.

If there are questions as you work on this, reply back here with what you tried to do and what is causing problems. Someone should be able to offer suggestions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CA-Easytrieve