Flaming

Re: Flaming

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm

BillyBoyo!
we are at loss here...
the gentleman does not listen/read/appreciate/meditate/evaluate/understand/accept the answer he gets
he will accept only the answers he expects, nothing else
( his posting history shows it )

and he did not even care to tell if he solved his issues :evil:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Folks, maybe it's because I have two teenagers. Maybe it's because I use StumbleUpon and Reddit. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

That being said, I think this guy is an internet troll. I truly believe they are causing this mess completely on purpose. They know what they are doing, but they act as if they don't. If you want to see a person that is a master at this, watch the movie Borat. (Or listen to Crank Yankers)

I think that the fun for them is to get someone that is predictably grouchy, then get them wound up. After the target has reached the boiling point, post a link to the conversation for all of your friends to laugh at.
Ed Goodman

Postby RISCCISCInstSet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am

I am not a net troll. :x I simply suck at corresponding with others really, really badly.

BTW what is the response time on post reports - it seems the topic is still not in the right forum and I can't move it myself.
RISCCISCInstSet
RISCCISCInstSet

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:52 am

Don't worry, the post'll possibly stay here a while, no real damage I guess.

We had a troll a couple of weeks ago, but I guess they are not like busses.

Get better at the communicating. You'll need it for the job anyway.

Note enrico's last post well. If you keep coming back without telling us what happened before, we find it frustrating. Well, I do.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby RISCCISCInstSet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 am

(removed by poster)
RISCCISCInstSet
RISCCISCInstSet

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:54 pm

That's probably a good continuation.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby RISCCISCInstSet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks all for their help.

I have a new topic with a similar, but not exactly the same, subject in the "Suggestions & Feedback" forum named "Dividing Line."
RISCCISCInstSet
RISCCISCInstSet

Postby Ed Goodman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:20 am

I still call troll. It's like art: easy to recognize, hard to define.
Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group. Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-mit-18
Ed Goodman

Postby RISCCISCInstSet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:32 am

:arrow: If it's so easy to recognize, why is it so possible I am not, in fact, a troll?

Others - don't listen to this guy. There's no telling from your point of view whether or not I'm a troll.
RISCCISCInstSet
RISCCISCInstSet

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello,

Others - don't listen to this guy. There's no telling from your point of view whether or not I'm a troll.
What did Willy Shakespeare write so long ago. . . ...doth protest too much, methinks

You do realize that by now you have spent more time filing reports and making posts like this than actually doing anything related to technology. . . :?

I believe it is safe to say that nothing productive has or will come of this "style" of posting. If someone posts something in a manner you do not appreciate, look closely at what they have said - there is probably something there that can be useful. Name-calling is usually wasted as people fucus on the name rather than the message. . .

As you mentioned somewhere communication is not something you do well. It will have to become a strength rather than a weekness if you are to have much of a career in anything detail oriented (not just coding) and are required to work with others.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Previous

Return to FAQ