File-AID Search Job

Compuware's data management products: File-AID for IMS, File-AID/MVS, File-AID for DB2 and DBA-XPERT for DB2

File-AID Search Job

Postby riverspree » Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Afternoon!

I'm still quite a bit new to File-AID, but would love to take advantage of it to save me some time in certain areas. I've set up the following job and want to know if anything stands out as incorrect or just plain inadvisable, or if you have any other suggestions from experience.

The purpose of this program should be to scan production libraries and create a list of components where the searched-for component is found. (In other words, by finding any areas where the text literal/component name is populated). Currently I use File-AID's Search/Update utility as well as the 3.14 search utility, but they can either take a bit of time or lock up our screens here. Very frustrating.

Please let me know what I can do to improve the job or if you think everything looks good, again very new to the whole thing, be gentle - but honest. Thanks for the help!

//SDLOBSSR JOB (000Z73QDEVCOD0T1350,0,B210),'Search',CLASS=Q,           
//          MSGCLASS=G,REGION=4M,NOTIFY=&SYSUID,                       
//**********************************************************************
//* JCL IS IN TEST.*******************************                      *
//**********************************************************************
//FILEAID1 EXEC PGM=FILEAID,PARM=TSO                                   
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*                                                 
//DD01     DD  DSN=PROD.CA7.BETH.JCLID13,DISP=SHR                       
//         DD  DSN=PROD.CA7.MASTER.PDS,DISP=SHR                         
//         DD  DSN=PROD.PROCLIB.PDS,DISP=SHR                           
//         DD  DSN=PROD.BATCH.CNTLCRDS,DISP=SHR                         
//SYSLIST  DD  DSN=TEST.SYLFS4C.OBSLIST.MAY12,                         
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG,KEEP),                                   
//             DSORG=PS,DATACLAS=SMSALLOC                               
//SYSIN    DD  *                                                       
$$DD01 PRINT IF=(1,0,C' JOBNAME '),OUT=0                               
riverspree

Re: File-AID Search Job Setup

Postby riverspree » Sat May 05, 2012 12:07 am

Also for some reason the edit button on the post disappeared..job card is wrong I realize..have updated :?
riverspree

Postby NicC » Sat May 05, 2012 5:14 pm

You can only edit: 1) if you are authorised and 2) within a few minutes (10 or 15?) of posting.

So, did you have any problems running the job? If so, what? Running a job is the quickest way to find things out - make sure you run against disposable datasets!
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Mon May 07, 2012 6:53 pm

What does the "PARM=TSO" accomplish? I looked at some of my old File-AID jobs and none of them have it.
Ed Goodman

Postby riverspree » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 pm

My appologies for not replying this ended up getting picked up as a priority so a peer was pulled into assist. We ended up writing an entire program to fill the need to find obsolete components.

As for your question regarding PARM=TSO Ed, if you specify PARM=TSO on the EXEC statement, File-AID does not start a new page for each new member name. So when PARM=TSO is coded on the EXEC JCL statement, all print output generated by the LIST, DUMP, and PRINT functions is formatted as if File-AID is writing to a terminal under TSO.

The following processing modifications are activated:

•SYSPRINT heading information is shortened to one line. Only the File-AID/Batch release number and date are shown.
6-2 File-AID/MVS Batch Reference Manual
•No page headings or page breaks are generated for print output. Printed PDS members are identified with a special member identification line preceding each member printed as follows:
***********MEMBER memname **************
•Print output is reformatted to fit an 80 character print line. DUMP, LIST, and PRINT output is presented 50 characters per line instead of the usual 100 characters per line. Exception: LIST output for a dataset with an LRECL of 80 or less is left justified to show up to 80 characters per line.
•The FORM=SHORT parameter turns off the default column scale print lines normally shown on each record with the PRINT and DUMP functions. Instead, File-AID prints the column scale print line as header at the top of each page.
•If no SYSLIST DD is present, SYSLIST is not dynamically allocated, and SYSLIST output is directed to SYSPRINT.
•No printer control characters are written to SYSLIST, SYSPRINT, or SYSTOTAL.
•If SYSPRINT, SYSLIST, or SYSTOTAL is assigned to a file instead of to SYSOUT, DCB attributes of the file are modified as follows:
DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=b)
where b is calculated as a multiple of 80 closest to the original BLKSIZE.

Notes:
•When using FPRINT, output is reformatted to fit an 80 character print line. Page headings and carriage control are not suppressed.
•PARM=TSO is not a valid parameter for the APRINT, RLPRINT, SCPRINT, and XRPRINT functions.
riverspree

Return to File-AID