Copy members using FILEAID batch

Compuware's data management products: File-AID for IMS, File-AID/MVS, File-AID for DB2 and DBA-XPERT for DB2

Copy members using FILEAID batch

Postby Kitz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello there,

I was trying to copy PDS(though its DSORG is LIB) members to another dataset using FILEAID batch.

When I try to copy the members through FILEAID 'online' it works okay and it copies the members as expected correctly.

However, when I tried to copy the members using FILEAID 'batch', it copies many members which doesn't match as per the copy options.

The options that is used for FILEAID JCL for copy (edited the JCL from the job)
When listed based on 'Created' date:
££DD01 COPY PADCHAR=X'00',EXPAND=Y,CEM=NO,RLM=YES,
CREATED=(11/08/03,11/08/03) ----- date read in FILEAID as is YY/MM/DD

When listed based on 'Changed' date:
££DD01 COPY PADCHAR=X'00',EXPAND=Y,CEM=NO,RLM=YES,
CHANGED=(11/08/03,11/08/03)

Please advise what would be the problem?

Thanks & Regards,
Kitz
Kitz

Re: Copy members using FILEAID batch

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:31 pm

this is tough...

Any chance your reading a Librarian or Panvalet library? That may be confusing the date selection. (I'm guessing based on your use of the "expand" parm)

For the members that are copying that you are not expecting, what are the dates?

Try this, use the "set up a batch run" option on the ISPF panel, and do the copy that way. Then look at the options File-Aid chooses.
Ed Goodman

Postby Kitz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks Ed.

I couldn't find any other alternative to read the LIB datasets other than through FILEAID 'Batch' or 'Online' option.

I felt very strange that when the FILEAID fetches the expected members through 'Online' option but it does not give the same results when 'Batch' option is selected.

I am just changing the option 'Process Online or Batch ===> O or B. I am not changing any other options. The result varies a lot. Is this a defect in FILEAID or wrong at the installation?

Alternatively, is there any other way to read a LIB datasets? Please advise?
Kitz

Postby Ed Goodman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:13 pm

You are doing it exactly the way I would.

To answer your other question, yes, there are other ways to read Librarian files. That product comes with a full set of utilities that work in batch.

Other than encouraging you to look for examples/manuals, I can't do much. Do you know where to find your librarian manuals?
Ed Goodman

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 pm

If the file is a LIBRARIAN file, your batch job needs SUBSYS=LAM on the DD statement referencing the LIBRARIAN file.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Kitz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Robert,

Added SUBSYS=LAM to the DD statement but it still doesn't extract the same members as it does when I select Online option in File-Aid copy option.

Please advise, is there any other approach to retrieve members from a LIB file based on the changed/created date?

Thanks & Regards,
Kitz
Kitz

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello,

Have you determined just which kind of dataset this is? It sounds like the dataset might be a pdse. . .

Is there something special you have to do for file-aid batch and a pdse?

What happens if you copy some members in batch using some other utility? What happens if you copy some members with batch file-aid without the data selection?

I don't believe this will solve the problem, but may help to clarify "where we are" :)
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Please advise what would be the problem?
I notice that your original post copied based on CREATE date, and listed based on CHANGED date. If you are expecting the list to only show the members copied, your expecations will not be met. Any member CREATED on 11/08/03 would be copied per your instructions, whereas the list may show 11/08/09 as the changed date -- even though the member was created on 11/08/03.

For us to pursue this any further, you're going to have to provide some actual data of members that should not have been copied and were -- an ISPF 3.4 member list pasted into a Code tagged area would be perfect.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Kitz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Sorry!

here, the numbers of members varies a lot for BATCH or ONLINE; I select the member from the LIB dataset based on CREATED (or CHANGED) date.

This dataset referenced in Lib/CCF. I think some might be aware that Lib/CCF is something similar to change control tools like Changeman, Endevour etc. But, I think Lib/CCF is an old tool doesn't have much options.

This LIB dataset cannot be browsed in ISPF 3.4. Probably, its due to organization is DA.

But, I can see the member listing through FILEAID. So, was trying to read this throught FILEAID/batch to extract member listing based on DATE created/changed.

When I used the FILEAID online copy option it lists correct records but it lists out many records work when I select FILEAID batch.

Please advise?
Kitz

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 pm

LIB/CCF, assuming you are referring to the Change Control Facility of CA-LIBRARAIN, is a Computer Associates product. File Aid is a Compuware product. Since these companies compete in the marketplace, it is probably sheer luck that you got ANYTHING to work -- online OR batch. CA-LIBRARIAN has batch utiltiies to copy modules from master file to master file (or master file to PDS), and you should be using the CA batch job to do this, not a product from a competing verndor. If you don't know how to do this, talk to your site support group, team leader, or coworkers -- or look in the CA-LIBRARIAN Command Reference (Batch) Guide manual.

If you wish to continue down the road you're following, your best bet would be to open a problem with Compuware to get their assistance explaining why the difference. However, I would not be at all surprised if they came back and said their product is not designed to work with CA-LIBRARIAN and that they cannot help.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Next

Return to File-AID