compare and swap and compiler optimization problem

Help for C/C++ for MVS, OS/390 C/C++, z/OS C/C++ and C/C++ Productivity Tools for OS/390

compare and swap and compiler optimization problem

Postby wilri01 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 am

The compare and swap CS built-in function needs the old and new values to be task/thread protected. So if you save the fullword to be changed into a stack variable thinking you have done this, if you have optimzation turned on, you will probably find the compiler eliminated the save and fetch from this stack variable, so the old and new values are taken from separate fetches from the common memory, and you can find the new value is incorrect.

I was able to defeat the compiler optimization by adding a variable defined outside the source module that has a constant +1, then subtracting a literal 1, and then adding this to the fullword. Now, the optimizer uses the stack variable.

But is there a better way?

I have lots of compare-and-swaps that worked fine from a different compiler, and I don't want to put this kludge code in many modules many times.

For example, perhaps code a function, maybe in assembler to avoid prolog/epilog overhead, that is passed the fullword to change and returns the value?
wilri01

Re: compare and swap and compiler optimization problem

Postby steve-myers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am

The term "built in" in this context means the compiler is generating the code in-line, without calling an external function. Thus, there is no function call overhead.

The purpose of a CS type function (or the CS hardware instruction) is to control updating of a storage area shared by two tasks/threads. "Protecting" a storage area in your "stack" serves no use since, nearly by definition, this storage area is not being shared by two tasks/threads unless its address was passed to functions operating as unique tasks/threads.

Most of the time when I encounter Assembler language modules using CS or CDS I feel it is not being used properly. The original authors did not truly understand what you can and cannot do with the technology. I've never been able to deduce a foolproof way to verify its use.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to C, C++