Dataset trigger job in Ca-7

Unicenter CA-7 Job Management: CA's workload automation tool for managing, visualizing, automating, optimizing applications

Dataset trigger job in Ca-7

Postby manojnmk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Hello all ,

In Ca7 my job gets triggered by a dataset .

At times multiple datasets are created at the same time and same job is triggered multiple times and fails .

Hence i want to put a stop for the next job to run before the first job completes. Is there any way ? Please help .

Thanks
manojnmk

Re: Dataset trigger job in Ca-7

Postby swd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

It sounds like it's a right old mess there. The 'multiple datasets' coming in, are they the same dataset name, if so how can a new dataset of the same name be cataloged if one already exists.

Or, are there different dataset names triggering the same job. If it's the same job then it will have the same job name, so won't run at the same time, but when the next job runs there is no dataset to process. Is that is what is happening? Is the JCL processing more than one dataset, perhaps in a GDG concatenation or something?

Please clarify exactly what the sequence of events are then someone will be able to help. It doesn't sound like a difficlult one to solve but lets be clear abuit what's going on first.

Cheers
Steve
swd

Postby manojnmk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks for ur reply.

Its a GDG version which triggers the job. Since multiple GDG versions created at the same time job triggers multiple times.

Its not the different dataset. Its the same datasets but multiple versions triggers the same job at the same time.

Please help
manojnmk

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 am

Hello,

Suggest you stop using the dataset trigger. . . .

Depending on the arrival rate of these files and the content (i.e. are they all the same data, say sales?), you could periodically run the job to use all of the new data.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby manojnmk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey ,

I cant run based on the arrival rate . Daily we recieve 100+ thru EDI . All the files has different data. So whenever a file arrives from EDI our job triggers.

Now the problem is sometimes we receives more than one file at the same time and same job runs more than once at the same time.

Is it possible to hold the second job till the first job comppletes. ( FYI .. both are same job )

I got an idea but not sure how well it will be sucessful.

Is it possible to put mutual exclusive to the same job. So that 2 events will not run at the same time. Please suggest.
If the above is possible please let me know how to do that .
manojnmk

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 pm

Hello,

both are same job
If they all have the same job name, only one at a time should run. Suggest you speak with your system support to make sure this is the case.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby vsbala » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 am

Hi Manoj,

I have a small suggestion. If you know how much time your job will run. You can put a Wait step at the begging of each Job.

Cheers
Bala VS
vsbala

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

How would knowing how long a job will run be used with a wait?

If i understand, the unpredictable arrival rate is perceived as a problem. Issuing some amount of wait will not change this.

Please clarify.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby ca706410 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:41 am

Hello ,

From the CA-7 design standpoint only one same jobname at a time should be submitted and CA-7 should wait that the job be successfully executed under JES before submitting and executing the next one so please clarify and give us a sample of data that shows the actual problem you are experiencing ...

Thanks and regards,
Eric
ca706410

Postby vinod85.ibm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 am

Better to place a permanent hold in DB panel and release the jobs as and when you need...
vinod85.ibm

Next

Return to CA-7