Cobol Report Generation Program

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Cobol Report Generation Program

Postby chetan_007 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi,

I have cobol report generation program, for eg:- it generates hundred lines of report based on condition. Suppose while printing I don't want to print certain records and for that I have used some conditions.

But the problem is, in the DETAIL LINE (main record line layout or record layout) if I move '*' to flag variable, will it skip that record from printing ????

MOVE '*' to Variable of the record layout.

So to which position should I move asterick i.e '*' (1st position or 2nd position or 3rd postion ......), so that the particlular line won't be printed.
Generally for reports, we have some defaults... I believe... As I don't know much about reports, I am seeking your help

Plz guide me.

Tks,
Kumar
chetan_007

Re: Cobol Report Generation Program

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:12 am

Hello,

What is a "flag variable"? Is this something that us explained by your organization's programming standards?
So to which position should I move asterick i.e '*' (1st position or 2nd position or 3rd postion ......), so that the particlular line won't be printed.
This is not a standard COBOL feature. An asterisk in a report line simply prints an asterisk.

Suggest you create a tiny test program that "writes a report" and watch how it works with different simple output lines. You should see that every time a WRITE is issued, a line of output is generated.

Possibly, i misunderstand the question. . . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol