In what system variable is the SOC-7 / SOC-4 stored?

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Re: In what system variable is the SOC-7 / SOC-4 stored?

Postby Zakir » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Robert Sample wrote:Actually, Zakir, you are either a fool or a liar (or both). Where, exactly, in your original post do you make clear you are fixing existing code and not (as you imply) creating new code?
I have to handle these data abends in my program by sending the error-code to the UI.
I have a COBOl - CICS program where i want to populate the error-code if a SOC-7/ SOc-4 abend occured.
"where i (sic) want to populate" -- meaning the code doesn't already contain this.

Hey men why are u getting impatient. If you don't want to reply just leave it for others.
Existing code doesn't handle these errors. I have to handle. The errors has to be fixed not the error handling.
Zakir

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey men why are u getting impatient. If you don't want to reply just leave it for others.

nobody from out side is getting impatient, we have no problems, or better... we are perfectly capable of solving the problems we might encounter :mrgreen:

You are the one asking for help, and until You describe properly with the proper terminology
the solution You are trying to develop and the issues You are facing
the only things You will get will be just nasty comments about Your attitude and incompetence AMEN

people who have the knowledge quite often wait a bit to post suggestion to see how the topic/thread evolves
since this topic is evolving in the most unpleasant way, Your chances of getting help are getting slimmer and slimmer
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello,

Existing code doesn't handle these errors. I have to handle. The errors has to be fixed not the error handling.
I do not believe these errors should be handled - for reasons given in this topic.

I do believe considerable effort should go into correcting the code to prevent these.

I believe that any investment in allowing these to continue (i.e. "handling" them) is not a good investment.

Unless the code is a complete disaster, correcting a few each week will eliminate the problems . . . fwiw
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Traveler » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Not sure how you guys manage it, I still am not clear on exactly what the OP is required to accomplish. It sounded to me like the OP wanted to gather up information on all the programs that had failed and send information to the UI, My guess on UI was that he means "User Interface". Wouldn't the Operating System messages contain this? Which programs started , finished and for what reason? I had a completely different read on this.
Traveler

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:48 pm

almost two weeks have passed since the flames,
I guess that the TS has disappeared and will not be back for a while :geek:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Previous

Return to IBM Cobol