Who was closed IMS?

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

Who was closed IMS?

Postby Mehdi shri » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Dear friends
I want to know how I can find or identify which user do /DBR DB ALL.
Because when IMS DB is stoped (by unknown user) and we send a transaction, the IMS falling down and it mus be restarted by appropriate JCL and must connected to the CICS by CDBC transaction. I want to know who is one (whis userid) uses
"/DBR DB ALL" command in CICS?
Is there any place that loged it? I searched all of places that I suggest can find this log but I cant find any thing.
Mehdi shri

Re: Who was closed IMS?

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:55 am

Hello,

Your question has been moved from CICS to IMS.

Why do more people have the ability to close IMS? Your management needs to limit who can do this. . .

Are you certain that the command was issued in CICS? From what i've seen this is a console command most places (we don't run IMS, so i can't very fy on one of my systems).

I suspect that the command was recorded on the syslog - suggest you ask your system support people or the IMS dba.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Mehdi shri » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Dear dick scherrer
We are 20 coworker and our authority is same. But a person (or my be more than on person too) has closed IMS. And command crtainly is /DBR DB aALL.
Mehdi shri

Postby Mehdi shri » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Command we use to close IMS exactly is "/DBR DB ALL" that typed after CDBM transaction.(from CICS consol).
Mehdi shri

Postby Ed Goodman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Your question got me thinking. We have a similar problem, but not nearly so widespread, more like an occasional inconvenience. However, it would be nice to know who has shut down a database.

I don't know how much of this is universal, and how much is unique to my shop, so take it with a healthy does of salt.

Find the job that is the started task for the IMS CONTROL region. Not the MESSAGE regions, but the single CONTROL region. It will be the one that is running program DFSMVRC0, not the ones running DFSRRC00.

In that job, look for the DDs named DFSOLP00 through DFSOLPxx. There will be any number of them. These are the IMS online logs. Again, these may get dynamically allocated or something at your shop, I don't know.

Those datasets are the logs. See if you can read them.

I was able to see in my log that I had run the command that stops the databases. I can NOT vouch for how the data appears in there. So for all I know, they are a fixed size and get overwritten from the top every hour. You'll have to do your own research on that. However, I'd bet big money that somewhere in the utilities reference there are record layouts for all of this stuff. Or better yet, a utility to dump certain types of records into a report.
Ed Goodman

Postby Mehdi shri » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Dear friend
I try to it and I see below text on my SDSF output of IMS startup JOB:
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=IMS710.XYZ.OLP04,DISP=SHR
15 XXDFSOLP05 DD DSN=&SYS..&SYS2..OLP05,DISP=SHR
XX*
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=IMS710.XYZ.OLP05,DISP=SHR
16 XXDFSOLS00 DD DSN=&SYS..&SYS2..OLS00,DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=IMS710.XYZ.OLS00,DISP=SHR
17 XXDFSOLS01 DD DSN=&SYS..&SYS2..OLS01,DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=IMS710.XYZ.OLS01,DISP=SHR

Postby NicC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Presumably IMS does not write to a log that is written to sysout (which would appear on the SDSF for the startup job) but writes the log to a dataset - you have to find out which and your support will be able to help you with that.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Mehdi shri » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Thaks my friend.
Mehdi shri

Postby Ed Goodman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Just a LITTLE bit of operations information: The IMS region has more than one log. Each of the DFSLOPxx datasets is a log. The region switches from one to the other as they fill up, then it backs up the previous one to tape. (take that with a grain of salt, I may have the steps wrong, but it's something like that)

So your single dataset, 'IMS710.XYZ.OLP05', may not be changing while you watch, but maybe one of the others is. make sure you are not holding any of them open for any length of time. If you have one open while IMS is trying to back it up to tape, the region can hang idle.
Ed Goodman

Return to IMS DB/DC