What is a dataspace in IMS?

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

What is a dataspace in IMS?

Postby paramaha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi,

I wish to understand what is a dataspace in IMS ? I saw a programm, where it has coding to read a dataspace but i am not able to relate it with any PSB. Please advice if you can with an example.

Regards
Hari
paramaha

Re: What is a dataspace in IMS?

Postby NicC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Well, things may have changed in the 20 years or so since I last did IMS to any extent and dataspaces did not exist then, to my knowledge. What has the introductory manual told you? A PSB relates to a database.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby paramaha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Nic, I agree that PSB defines layout of a segment, but here they make use of something named as dataspace to read a record using some key. I am not able to trace it back where they define the layout of that and how data is stored there ...
paramaha

Postby NicC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Well, ask the people who are familiar with this terminology in your shop. We do not work there so we do not know what they mean by "dataspace". Well, if it is a legit IMS term then maybe Ed knows - and may be posting the answer at this very moment!
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
paramaha (Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 pm)
NicC
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to IMS DB/DC