Syncsort/Icetool prob: Title carries over to the prev line

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Syncsort/Icetool prob: Title carries over to the prev line

Postby Narine » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Please help. I'm using Display to create report. The first Title line looks fine, but on the next page the title is carried over in the previous line.
Also, what is this little icon box tho the left of the title? Any information is greatly appreciated.
See the title 'CUSTOMER REPORT':
Thank you,
Narine
See the attachment image
IcetoolQ.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Narine

Re: Icetool report: Title carries over to the previous line

Postby Frank Yaeger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 am

Narine,

Are you using DFSORT's ICETOOL (ICE messages) or Syncsort's SYNCTOOL (SYT, WER messages)?

I suspect what you're seeing is a quirk of whatever you're using to display the report, and has nothing to do with the actual report produced by ICETOOL.

If you show the actual ICETOOL job you're using and the JES log associated with running it, that would help us help you.

Also, how are you looking at the report? Are you printing it? Sending it to SYSOUT=* and the viewing the result online (how) or what?

Note that for an ICETOOL report, each title record has a '1' ANSI control character in position 1 to tell the "printer" to start a new page. Whatever you're using to display the report may be interpreting that '1' as the little icon and messing up the way the report is displayed. If you don't want the carriage control characters, you can use the NOCC operand of DISPLAY.

Try using LIST(RPT) with a permanent data set for the RPT DD and then just browse the permanent data set to see what the report really looks like.
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby Narine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Frank, Thank you!
You are right in a permanent file it looks good, but when i try to e-mail it converting into text file. It still has the same problem. You can see the report file in the bottom T23B5IW.REPORT.DATA. Any ideas how to correct it? I need to be able to convert to .txt file and e-mail
IcetoolQ.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Narine

Postby Narine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Also, I tried to use NOCC in the Display, but it gave me an error:
INVALID OPERAND ON "DISPLAY" STATEMENT
I tried to give it 2 titles. first one with blanks and the next line would display correctly, but same error. I'm reading these manuals where NOCC and 2nd Title are allowd, but they give me error. I don't understand why. Here is the Icetool code:
IcetoolQ.JPG
Narine

Postby Frank Yaeger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 pm

You are right in a permanent file it looks good, but when i try to e-mail it converting into text file. It still has the same problem.

I can only help you with DFSORT/ICETOOL. I can't help you figure out what's wrong with your e-mail conversion.

Also, I tried to use NOCC in the Display, but it gave me an error:
INVALID OPERAND ON "DISPLAY" STATEMENT

NOCC works fine with DFSORT's ICETOOL. That message indicates you're using Syncsort, not DFSORT. I'm a DFSORT developer. DFSORT and Syncsort are competitive products. I'm happy to answer questions on DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, but I don't answer questions on Syncsort.
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby Narine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 pm

Frank, Thank you so much for your help. I used another copy statement and eliminated that '1' control character from the file and then converted it. So all is good.

I just would like to understand. How did you know that I was using Syncsort? Since I have learned about ICETOOL I thought that was only IBM utility DFSORT. I wander if our company uses both, then I want to make sure I use DFSORT. It has such wonderful range of operations.
Narine

Re: Syncsort/Icetool prob: Title carries over to the prev line

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:12 am

Hello,

The message you posted is not issued by DFSORT. It is issued by Syncsort.

ICETOOL is often defined as an alias so that it can be used on an EXEC PGM=ICETOOL statement in a Syncsort environment.

Very few systems run both Syncsort and DFSORT, but there are a few. . . Suggest you speak with your seniors or the system support people for your system.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Narine » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am

Hi Dick, Thank you for the explanation. Now I understand.
Narine

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 am

You're welcome - good luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Frank Yaeger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 am

How did you know that I was using Syncsort?

DFSORT and ICETOOL messages start with ICE. Syncsort messages start with WER. SYNCTOOL messages start with SYT.
Although you didn't show the message number, I could tell from the text that it was a Syncsort message, not a DFSORT message.

Since I have learned about ICETOOL I thought that was only IBM utility DFSORT. I wander if our company uses both, then I want to make sure I use DFSORT. It has such wonderful range of operations.

DFSORT has ICETOOL. Syncsort has SYNCTOOL, but they ship ICETOOL as an alias for SYNCTOOL. DFSORT's ICETOOL is fully documented and the documentation is freely available on the web. Syncsort does NOT have any documentation for SYNCTOOL and does not provide documentation on the web.

Some companies have licenses for both products, but most have one or the other. If you did have both products, you'd have to invoke one of them using JOBLIB or STEPLIB libraries. Your System Programmers could tell you if you have both and if so, how to execute each.
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Return to JCL