executing a call thru a CICS program

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

executing a call thru a CICS program

Postby jeffbryan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm successfully executing a call through a CICS program. However I have the situation where
I have 3 jobstreams in the JCL I'm calling. I want to execute the first and second one(hold the second after
execution) and hold the third on job queue because both will be ran later. When I simply submit the JCL,
the second and third stays on the job queue but not when a call is issued through the CICS program,
all 3 jobstreams run. What can I do to fix this problem. Here is an example of a test jcl of the one I
want to run and hold and one I just want to hold.. Thanks

/*JOB JCL1 JOBD=QBATCH5 SAVE=(*YES)

/*JOB JCL2 JOBD=QBATCH5 HOLD=(*YES)
jeffbryan

Re: executing a call thru a CICS program

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am

I have read your post a number of times and have no idea what you are doing nor any clear idea about what your problem is. When you say you have 3 jobstreams in the JCL, do you mean one job with three steps or three jobs in sequence each with their own JOB statement? Assuming you are talking about three jobs in sequence, what will hold the third job (since jobs are not normally held except for operator holds, TYPRUN=HOLD, or waiting for resources)? When directly submitted, what keeps the second and third from running immediately? What is different between the direct submit and going trhough the program that you get different results?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: executing a call thru a CICS program

Postby jeffbryan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 am

Sorry for the confusing. There are three jobs in sequence each with their own JOB statement. This is a payroll run. The first JOB consists of backups, close files, etc. The second JOB is the first edit. After payroll department checks it out, I release the second JOB from the job queue. The is the second edit and it is then deleted from the job queue. Then I release the third JOB, the check run, which open files, etc. I don't see any difference between the direct submit and going through the program. I have several payroll JCLS because of multiple companies. I was just trying to create a shorcut online by entering a code to execute a particular payroll JCL. I am, however, creating the direct JCL using a conversion tool. Somehow HOLD=(*YES) is preventing it from running when running directly but doesn't work the same through an online program.
jeffbryan

Return to JCL