How to take backup of huge number of datasets

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Re: How to take backup of huge number of datasets

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Hello,

What ever you understand the problem is exactly correct. I am not familier with other languages. So, I am trying to fulfill this request with JCL.
Sorry, but you cannot. . . You need to repeat over and over that "JCL does nothing except execute "things" ". It has no data manipulation or logic capabilities.

If anyone ever tells you need to so something "with a JCL", you need to have them clarify which "thing" they want you to use to do what is needed.

For your current request, suggest you work with someone who is familiar with writing code - if you are not (yet?) a coder, i suspect learning from the beginning will take more time than acceptable.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Re: How to take backup of huge number of datasets

Postby Akatsukami » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:43 pm

skankatala wrote:I am not familier with other languages. So, I am trying to fulfill this request with JCL.

And yet your profile claims that you know not only JCL, but also COBOL, CICS, and DB2. Perhaps you made this same specious claim to your employer, which then gave you this task that, trivial though it is, seems well beyond your abilities?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Previous

Return to JCL