EJB sample for Websphere z/OS

Support for Java SE, EE & ME, JVM, JNI, JDBC, EJB, JFC, JPDA, JAAS,JCE, JAXP, XML and Java API.

EJB sample for Websphere z/OS

Postby nox828 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi mainframer,

I'm looking for a practical tutorial (deploy and use), how EJBs work on IBM WebSphere running on z/OS. The limitation is, that everything of the deployment should be done within the wc3270 emulator, because the zeus mainframe is of the IBM System z University Program for Europe. The software components are all installed, e.g. websphere app server 6.1.

I read a lot on the IBM website, but couldn't find a clear and short howto.

Rgds
nox828

Re: EJB sample for Websphere z/OS

Postby olivermf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello Nox,

I do not have experience in EJB with Websphere, because I work more on the batch-part.
For practical instructions I would take a look at some of the IBM Redbooks (this helped me very well on Java Batch).
One example would be http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245754.html

Why would you want to use a 3270 terminal for deployment?
I would try to find information about deployment from within the IDE Eclipse (for example ant-scripting, etc.).

For the IBM z University program (I took part myself 2011 in Germany) it would be much more motivating for students to see something "common" in context of the new big mainframe ;-)

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Postby nox828 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi Oliver,

I tried to use the wc3270 terminal, because it's the test environment on our university's mainframe. There is no remote access for http or eclipse, therefore the terminal...

I browsed the reedbook several times and decided to set up my own dedicated WAS environment for doing a practical excercise. I was not able to find a example for terminal and also the output isn't that.

A few weeks ago I was at the IBM plant in Böblingen and they presented a lot nice common products. I think so too, the z University, needs an update, immediately : :roll:

Anyhow, Thanks a lot for your reply to this atypical question,

Brgds, Daniel
nox828

Postby olivermf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi Daniel,

you could try to access the university's mainframe through ftp via an Ant-Script. I tried this, but I'm not sure on what machine (University Tübingen I think) and this worked with Eclipse. For configuration I used the Redbooks about Java Standalone Applications (as I said, I'm more working on Java Batch).

Via ftp you can upload jcl, start jobs and get the job-output, so this would be everything you need. And the "cool" thing is: The students don't have to use the 3270-Terminal at all when programming Java.

I have a colleague that works with EJB software on mainframes (I think he is using Eclipse too).
I will try to get some information for you, but he is on a workshop until the end of this week. Hope to hear from him tomorrow or monday/tuesday.

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Postby olivermf » Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi Daniel,

I am sorry to write that late, I simply forgot this post.
My colleagues did not use something out of a Redbook. They made their own Ant-Scripts, so I cannot help with something like a PDF or ebook.

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Return to Mainframe Java