Tracking errors from z/os's syslog

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Re: Tracking errors from z/os's syslog

Postby musecz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I will study what you have exposed, that's really interesting :)

I found a software as the same time called type80 syslog http://www.type80.com/products_syslog.htm.

"Type80 Syslog for z/OS enables extension of all mainframe console messages and write-to-operator messages to be routed to external log retention servers using the standard TCP/IP Syslog protocol."
"Type80 Syslog messages are sent in "Real-Time".

They seems to exist a Syslog Protocol, I will try to understand how they do that.

Regards
musecz

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:55 pm

They seems to exist a Syslog Protocol, I will try to understand how they do that.

not related to zOS syslog

the syslog protocol is one of the many protocols defined in TCP/IP communication architecture
see here for the details
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5424
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby musecz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Hey Myers,

I have searched about the solution you have proposed to me :
Rather than use the JESx SYSLOG, intercept it using the SSI function JESx uses and save it there. Doing it this way keeps the "server" "bot" and CA-SMR type products from stepping on each other's toes

So I saw that i could filter message with WTO e.g:
The WTO(IEF403I*) line shows the message mask for the trap, which is any message beginning with IEF403I. These are job start messages.

So once the filtering is done, i have to create a file with the result informations.

But is there a way with Built In Z/OS to send it using a SNMP trap like TWS or CA7 do ?

Thank you for your help
musecz

Previous

Return to Operating Systems