Inserting text into dataset

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Re: Inserting text into dataset

Postby brhel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi, thanks for helps.

I use Personal Comminucations, version 6.0.
I checked setting of PCOMM (compared with a colleagu without problem) but I am not able to find what's different.

I send more printscrees.

printscreen04.PNG

printscreen05.PNG

many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brhel

Postby brhel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:29 pm

printscreen06.PNG

printscreen07.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brhel

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:11 pm

FYI. VIEW is one of my innovations when I worked for IBM. I asked the ISPF developers and they obliged. Thanks.
Yes, that was in the early 1990's, when I participated in the beta test for ISPF V4.

so You are the one to blame for all the topics about SAVING when in VIEW mode :D
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:07 am

Command TE not found

My recommendation was to enter TE as a line command but you entered TE as a primary command. You type TE over the line numbers.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:09 am

so You are the one to blame for all the topics about SAVING when in VIEW mode

I suppose so! You are welcome. :D
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby NicC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:59 am

Please cut and paste screenshots rather than load files. And use the code tags when doing so. If you do not know how to use the tags there are plenty of posts with regard to this.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby brhel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi I tried "TE" over line numbers, but it deleted all of contain, what I don't need.
After inserting text (ctrl v) and pressing enter, sdome of inserted lines are missing.
printscreen12.PNG
brhel

Postby NicC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:52 pm

You were asked not to do screenshots but cut and paste - takes less time and storage.

Have you read up about the TE command? And experimented with it?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:25 pm

[Personal opinion]TE is sort of useful for specific situations, though it would not be particularly useful for what I perceive you want. When you are using TE, ISPF messes with the data you entered. This can be a good thing for some specific situations, but unless you need it, you should not use it. Pasting data is one situation when it should not be used.

From ISPF HELP -
TE  - text enter, to format the screen for power typing one or more
      text paragraphs

Now, like I said before, somewhere in PCOMM options or settings you can find the settings to copy and paste data in a block mode. After nearly 20 years I cannot tell you what to set, nor tell you the exact terminology PCOMM uses, but it is there somewhere. Your technical support should be able to find it or at least tell you where it is. Perhaps your colleagues can tell you.

[Personal opinion, again]PCOMM is one of the better 3270 terminal emulator programs, though it is rather expensive. Because of its high cost I do not use it, and have not used it for almost 20 years since a brief time as an IBM employee in 1999 and 2000.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Previous

Return to TSO & ISPF