ISPF TF edit command

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

ISPF TF edit command

Postby knobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

hello ! during an ispf edit session, is there any way to "text flow" an entire dataset at certain column ?
in another words.... i'm able to use the ispf edit command TF as a block command to cover all lines/paragraphs or should i go line by line ?

thanks!
knobi

Re: ISPF TF edit command

Postby BillyBoyo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:35 am

Do some experiments. Check on the Tutorial / PF1. TF works on blocks of data, it is just that you don't get to choose where the block ends.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby knobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 am

maybe you would like to share how to do it ?!
checking http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... Ftflow.htm
didn't brought any tip...
knobi

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 am

what is that is not clear in the sentence
The text is flowed from the beginning of that line to the end of the paragraph.

and the suggestion to
See Word processing and Formatting paragraphs for more information.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby knobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:53 am

anyone else would try, please ?
knobi

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 am

Hello,

I believe Enrico has given you a reasonable reply (as did BillyB)- given the question posted.

It does not matter that your question is completely clear to you - it does matters that senior peopoe here do not understand what you want.

If you had posted some small example of "what you have" and from this "what you want", you might have gotten replies more to your liking.

Had i been the first to read this topic and reply, all i could have done was ask for more clear info as well.

Your off-topic reply has been deleted as well as your "report". Yes, we read'em all, but many are misguided. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:19 am

You can try setting your bounds to the columns you want and then use TF - it will flow text within the bounds. Do not know how it will affect text entry - no time to play.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Make yourself a "block" of text, some short lines, some long.

Ensure there is a blank line after the block of text.

Do a block copy (or cn, where n=lines including blank) including the blank line, or even better a block repeat including blank line, or if you prefer type out two new paragraphs.

Save the file.

At the start of the first block, in the prefix area, put TF at the top of the block. In the second block, put it somewhere in the middle. In the third block, put it on the last line of text. Press enter. Note what happens. Report back here with results.
Cancel the change. Edit the file again. Remove the first blank line. Put TF on the first line of text (in the prefix area). Press enter. Note what happens. Report back here with results. Cancel the change.

Carry out further experiments under independent control. Look at what NicC has suggested. Look in the Tutorial, PF1, find out what affects how TF operates (it will tell you, better than I can). Experiment until you understand everything, or if you get stuck, come back and tell us what you have found and what you have a problem with.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF