JCL to check the last modified date of PDS members

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

JCL to check the last modified date of PDS members

Postby kashmiri » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 am

Hi All,

I have a requirement like this,

I have a changeman library in which there are JCL's Procs and Control Cards etc.
I will be promoting them to a library soon.
After some time, i would be doing the testing using the new library. But before I start the testing, I want to make sure that the last modified date of all the member in changeman(the components would be in changeman also, even after moving), is same as the last modified date of the corresponding member in my library.

Is there a utitliy for that or is there any command that would give me that last modified date of all the members of a PDS.
Since there are lots of members, it wont be possible to do it manually.

I am sure, you people have answer for everything as always or atleast you will show me the way to do it.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mohsin
kashmiri

Re: JCL to check the last modified date of PDS members

Postby MrSpock » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 pm

The SMF records are the only way I know of. Unless, of course, you can rely on the values shown for last modified date/time from the ISPF statistics.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby kashmiri » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Both the was will ork for me. But the problem is, i need to check this for thousands of members. How do i do it ti get that modified date for all members at one go. Kind of, is there any utility that would find the ISPF statistics for all members.

Thanks a lot for the answer
kashmiri

Postby swd » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:16 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are describing a manual Configuration Management system, whereby you are relying on the last modified date as your 'version control'. When you promote all the members from your changeman library to your new library, everything will of course be the same, but some time in the future you will be testing using the new library, you want to check that the members are the same in both libraries by comparing the last modified date?

If this is the case, do you not have any proper configuration management tool to control 'versions' of members and releases of software? If you don't and you want to ensure that the two libraries are the same, would it not be easier to compare them using ISPF option 3.13, this will then show differences in any members, which I take it is what you want to know?
swd

Return to VSAM/SMS