Issue whith copy fileaid

Compuware's data management products: File-AID for IMS, File-AID/MVS, File-AID for DB2 and DBA-XPERT for DB2

Issue whith copy fileaid

Postby JJ BERTHELOT » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi,

We make a dump of sequential files, using dfdss, on a first virtual cartridge (VSM blksize 64k). Then we copy this first cartridge on a second using fileaid.
When we want to restaur a file using DFDSS since the second cartridge, we got the following message :
ADR389E (001)-TDDS (07), INVALID INPUT ON DDNAME INDD1, INPUT DATA SET NOT PRODUCED BY DFDSS OR DFSMSDSS.

I know that IBM say :
"Using a copy produced by any other method or utility as input to a RESTORE operation can produce unpredictable results."

Then now we use Copydump (instead of Fileaid) to copy our dump, but we need to recover a file an old file which has been copied with Fileaid.

Is there anybody has a solution to this problem?

Regards.

Jean-Jacques
JJ BERTHELOT

Re: Issue whith copy fileaid

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Can't you use Fileaid to copy it back to "something", check it, then rename/use the different name?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Can't you use Fileaid to copy it back to "something", check it, then rename/use the different name?

Bill! they mangled a DFDSS <dump> so no utility will recover anything
usually BTST ( been there seen that ) copying a DFDSS <dump> with an improper utility will usually drop something ,
and when something has been dropped ... noo way to reconstruct it

Is there anybody has a solution to this problem?

unfortunatley given the clearly written indication/restriction
"Using a copy produced by any other method or utility as input to a RESTORE operation can produce unpredictable results."

You will have to live with the <lost> data
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:21 pm

enrico, sorry, I didn't read the thing properly. I missed the "I shot myself in the foot. I've taken out all the cartridges from the gun now, but can anyone fix my foot like nothing happened?" sort of thing.

It is a lesson already learned, but if you make backups of any sort, you have to test the recovery. Using the backup tools is a must, not just any old thing lying around.

Jean-Jaques, maybe you can contact IBM and see if they can assist, or Compuware, or find some storage techie consultant whose done the sort of thing before. Depends how badly you need the data. Any "image copies" or anything else with your storage people which might help? You got the paper records?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby JJ BERTHELOT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:25 am

Hi,

Thank you for these response.

It is a lesson already learned, but if you make backups of any sort, you have to test the recovery. Using the backup tools is a must, not just any old thing lying around.

We of course test the restaur, but since the file output of the dump is passed to blksize 64k. Here is the problem.

Jean-Jaques, maybe you can contact IBM and see if they can assist, or Compuware, or find some storage techie consultant whose done the sort of thing before. Depends how badly you need the data. Any "image copies" or anything else with your storage people which might help? You got the paper records?

We open an issue on IBM support and compuware support, but for now we have no result. That's why i post on this forum.

Regards.

Jean-Jacques
JJ BERTHELOT

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:29 am

From what I've seen, the ONLY valid way to copy a DF/DSS dump is by using DF/DSS. You may find that your copy of the backup is not usable since it was not copied with DF/DSS. I certainly have never heard of a way to do it.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby JJ BERTHELOT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi,

We just receive the response from compuware :

"Après divers essais proposés il s'avère aujourd'hui que ce fichier sauvegardé avec File-AID n'est plus exploitable en entrée de ADRDSSU alors qu'il l'était dans une version antérieure du Z/OS.
La sauvegarde de cette bande avec File-AID avec un blocksize 64K n'est pas exploitable en entrée de ADRDSSU et donc les données sauvegardées ne peuvent plus être restaurées. "

Compuware close the issue. We have no response from IBM.

We understand that the method to use to make a copy of Dump is COPYDUMp. This is the method we use now.

Since we switch to blksize 64k, we have a lot of dump file that we need to restore. although it we must use a labyrinthine system.

Regards

Jean-Jacques
JJ BERTHELOT

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Compuware close the issue. We have no response from IBM.

given that the manuals were very clear about it, I would not expect any :mrgreen:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Google translate doesn't seem to work well, contradicting in places my schoolboy French.

Are you just updating us, or hoping for further adivce? If advice, please translate the Compuware response.

Your site has learned a lesson which is very basic. If you are backing-up, you have to be able to restore. This has to be verified before implementation, and with every change to any software you use in the process, including the OS. Avoiding the recommended process is generally asking for trouble. I know your site know this now, but it is such a basic thing I'd think there may be other holes in the storage/data-management policy. Is your Audit department aware of this yet? Legal department? Etc? If not there are going to be even more unhappy people than there are now, but you might get access to a budget.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to File-AID