FSUM9225 no memory: EDC5132I Not enough memory

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

FSUM9225 no memory: EDC5132I Not enough memory

Postby v1gnesh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 am

Hello Gents,

I'm using the below JCL to run a command via a job so that we can automate it.

//BPXBATCH EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH
//STDOUT   DD  PATH='/home/zmdrdp/stdout',
//             PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT,OTRUNC),PATHMODE=SIRWXU
//STDERR   DD  PATH='/home/zmdrdp/stderr',
//             PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT,OTRUNC),PATHMODE=SIRWXU
//*STDIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=TECH.ZMSEDC.JCL(EDTST)
//STDPARM  DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=ZMDRDP.TSOLIB.CNTL(SAPCL)

The STDPARM contains...
SH cd /sap/saposcol;
SAPCAR -xvf SAPDB2CL_9-20005238.SAR

The STDERR file reads,
"SAPCAR: FSUM9225 no memory: EDC5132I Not enough memory."

I have REGION=OM coded in the jobcard. What am I doing wrong here..?

Regards
v1gnesh
boyo
v1gnesh

Re: FSUM9225 no memory: EDC5132I Not enough memory

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:19 am

Hello,

Sounds like there is not enough memory to launch SAP . . .

Suggest you speak with your system suppport people.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:30 am

SAP isn't running on z/OS, so I'm not sure if the REGION is applcable to it. Follow Dick's advice.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 am

Most likely the REGION= parameter is not the memory value impacting your process. BPXBATCH jobs use OMVS, and OMVS uses system parameters to set maximum memory size and so forth. You need to contact your site support group and have them review the BPXPRMxx member of your system PARMLIB for appropriate memory values for the work you're attempting to do. Parameter values like MAXCORESIZE, MAXASSIZE, MAXMMAPAREA (note: these are not the only values that impact memory; there are several others) need review and possible changes based upon the documentation for the product you're attempting to run. Some values can be changed dynamically via the SET OMVS (or SETOMVS) console command, but not every value in BPXPRMxx can be changed by console command.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby v1gnesh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 am

Thanks for your responses. So I do have to update BPXPRMxx with a higher value? Here are the values I see, that is currently loaded

MAXASSIZE(2147483647)
MAXCORESIZE(2147483647)
MAXMMAPAREA(4096)

Regards
v1gnesh
boyo
v1gnesh

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 am

Hello,

I suspect you should change nothing. . .

When system parameters are to be changed, it is not usually because someone decides to change because of some process they want to give more resources to.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 am

As I said earlier, there are other values in BPXPRMxx other than just the three I mentioned. If you -- or anyone else -- is going to be changing them, that person needs to do the research in reading the initialization and Tuning Reference manual to determine which, if any values, need to change. If you're attempting to run a software product from a vendor, the documentation should tell you what the various parameter values need to be. Otherwise, just changing values without understanding what's being changed AND WHY may cause various negative consequences, up to and including an LPAR completely unusable and requiring an IPL.

I did not say to change any particular value; someone needs to determine if any value needs changing. The point I was making earlier is that with OMVS, REGION=0M in a batch job may mean very little to what memory requirements are for the OMVS processes.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:11 am

Hello,

Is there some particular reason SAP is being run in "unix"?

I don't do SAP, but it has been my understanding that it typically runs in z/OS :?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby v1gnesh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 am

dick scherrer wrote:Hello,

I suspect you should change nothing. . .

When system parameters are to be changed, it is not usually because someone decides to change because of some process they want to give more resources to.

Understood. I was thinking of a temporary change maybe to facilitate the running of this program.

Robert Sample wrote:As I said earlier, there are other values in BPXPRMxx other than just the three I mentioned. If you -- or anyone else -- is going to be changing them, that person needs to do the research in reading the initialization and Tuning Reference manual to determine which, if any values, need to change. If you're attempting to run a software product from a vendor, the documentation should tell you what the various parameter values need to be. Otherwise, just changing values without understanding what's being changed AND WHY may cause various negative consequences, up to and including an LPAR completely unusable and requiring an IPL.

I did not say to change any particular value; someone needs to determine if any value needs changing. The point I was making earlier is that with OMVS, REGION=0M in a batch job may mean very little to what memory requirements are for the OMVS processes.

dick scherrer wrote:Hello,

Is there some particular reason SAP is being run in "unix"?

I don't do SAP, but it has been my understanding that it typically runs in z/OS :?

I will most certainly do the research before making any changes. I'll post more information here when I find out what exactly that program does. All I know about the program is that the person who's running it (the DBA guy) does this once a year. He doesn't remember how it worked/he made it work last time.

EDIT: A quick Google says SAPCAR is used to compress/decompress CAR and SAR files. The statement I mentioned does a decompress.
http://www.easymarketplace.de/SAPCAR.php#OnlineHelp
boyo
v1gnesh

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 am

Hello,

Hopefully "someone" (scheduling, operations, system support) may have some notes on how things were configured last time.

Maybe there are also some footprints as to what has changed on the system since then (new releases of the operating environment, SAP, etc).

Good luck :)
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Next

Return to JCL